by Amos Lim
I am relaying some information that just came from Shirley's lawyer, not good information.... I have kept it under wraps until I could confirm that they wanted it to be released as they have requested confidentiality on Monday.
That said, we are working with the family to see if they are okay for us to organize a peaceful vigil / protest soon.
Please keep a look out for our email alerts.
Dear Amos et al,
On Friday April 10, Shirley Tan received a decision from the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). They reissued the deportation order (the earlier one rendered invalid) and have given Shirley until May 10, 2009 to voluntarily depart."
She is out of options to remain in the U.S. If she were straight, and married her American partner Jay Mercado tomorrow, she could immediately petition for a green card.
Shirley and her family now hope for an extraordinary measure to keep Shirley in the U.S. We will continue to keep you posted.